Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Couponing Myths

Couponing MYTHS

I thought it would be helpful to post common questions that I'm asked a lot, and dispel some of the "myths" out there. 

1. "I get coupons but they expire a week or two later."
-WRONG! Although some do have a short "shelf life" and expire soon, MANY coupons come with expiration dates that are 3 weeks to 3 months away. Some coupons in my binder I've had for months. Even if the expiration date is a couple weeks away, most of the time you need to make a trip to the store in that amount of time anyway!

2."I just don't have the time for it."
-Although time consuming, the great thing about couponing is you can put however much time you want into it. You don't have to spend six hours a day if you don't want to. Even if you only spend an hour a night after dinner, you can still get a lot accomplished. And, the great thing is that you can always pick right back up where you left off. 

3. "It really won't save me that much money anyway."
-WRONG!! Any time put into couponing pays for itself. With the right coupons and matchups, you can save 50-75% on your bill, even 100% if you're that good!

4. "It's just cheaper to buy the off-brand."
-Not necessarily. I've spent a lot of time in bargain grocery stores myself, buying almost entirely off-brand only. After I learned how to coupon, I was amazed that often times the name brand is cheaper than the off brand, and sometimes even free! This is because there are generally never any coupons for off-brand products, and always coupons for name-brand products. Pair your coupons with the store sale, and use a store that doubles coupons to maximize your savings. 

5. "It's a waste of time."
-Never! I just started couponing in November 2012 and have saved my family almost $4,000 if not more. I can generally save $100-$200 a week with couponing, and so can you!

6. "I'm afraid I'll get to the register and I'll have too many coupons and they won't let me use them."
-Be familiar with your local stores' coupon policies. Not knowing them can only hurt you. There will be times when your cashier has to manually double your coupons in the computer, and won't. You will have to speak up for yourself at times, and doing so will only save you money. Not doing so can be a costly mistake. As long as you're within the limits of the store's coupon policy, they have to accept the coupons you present to them. (Provided you've followed the exact size/brand specifications on the coupon).

7."It's just not worth it to me."
-To each his own, but I will say any effort put into learning how can be a huge money saver and make such a difference in your family's grocery budget and kitchen cabinets!

















No comments:

Post a Comment